Sorry this is late! I’ve been moving and I’m just about settled in my new place.
So, as I mentioned in my last post, I’ve gone a little unicorn mad. As friends of mine know- as pretty much anyone who’s read this blog, my tumblr or Facebook know- I love fantasy, and unicorns come second only to dragons to me.
As I showed in my last post, I made a unicorn plushie. I decided to take this design and make a larger version, to be used as a pillow. It’s a fairly simple construction, using fleece and scraps of felt. Scroll down for the tutorial!
Now, here’s the tutorial!
You will need:
- paper (for template)
- fleece (white, or other pastel colour)
- felt or fleece (scraps, lots of bright colours)
- Corresponding thread
- Toy stuffing
- Make your template for the unicorn. I used two sheets of A3 paper taped together, so unfortunately I can’t scan it properly, but the shapes are fairly easy to make.
- Cut out your pieces. You need two pieces for the body, two for the horn (round edged triangles), two for the ears (pointed ovals) and several pieces for the mane (curved triangles). If you want to give your unicorn a tail, you need a thin piece of fleece and two flame shaped pieces for the end of the tail. Mine doesn’t have a tail.
- Now stitch the horn together and stuff lightly. Pin in place on the body part.
- Place the mane sections in place and start stitching round the body, leaving a hole for turning and stuffing.
- Now turn and stuff!
- When you’re done stuffing the pillow, stitch the hole shut and there you have your unicorn pillow. If you want to give your unicorn ears, stitch them on now.
Finally, I want to give a shoot-out to my friend Elena. She’s an incredible seamstress who does things with clothes I can’t even imagine being able to do after decades of study. She’s got a new etsy shop here, and you should check out her blog here.
Thanks for reading and I hope you like the unicorns. I’ll have them on my etsy when I’ve made enough.